Monday, October 30, 2006

So Close, I Can Taste It

To those of you keeping score, Narraptor has scored a convincing victory over me by posting his entire tale. Instead of facing up to this fact, I'm choosing to go off into a tangent.

I never understood why anyone would oppose Halloween, and I especially didn't understand people who fought it on religious grounds. Halloween's a pagan holiday that was palette-swapped into a Christian one. So were Christmas and Easter. Kids might be dressed up as monsters, but they were just as likely to go trick or treating as princesses, Boba Fett, or their favorite collectible card game. And for once, Christ wasn't being upstaged by present-bringing mascots.

If anything, I thought it could be a chance to celebrate a job well done. A kind of "We Won!" celebration over the Norse Pantheon.

Now, I don't really care about that, except for a hopeless wish for others to stop attacking my holiday. I don't go assaulting Christmas with tales of sexual predators attacking kids at the crack of midnight, and I expect others to do the same for Halloween.

Yes, Halloween is my favorite holiday of the year. Once you get past thirteen, it's one of the few freeform holidays you get. You can seek out the most overcrowded club in all of Philadelphia, or just enjoy the one romantic holiday where romance isn't mandatory. It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you keep the spirit of Halloween in your heart. It even retains a healthy measure of childhood magic, untarnished by the revelation that the Santa Bunny's not who he seems.

So of course I get depressed on Halloween. There's aways a costume I meant to create, and somewhere in the back of my mind, whatever I'm doing isn't good enough. But that's okay. That just means I'm already looking forwards to next year. Because next year, I'll do better.

No comments: