Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I Don't Know Why Narraptor's Boring

Something about polar bears, I presume.

It's true. At long last, I'm ready to blog. Perhaps I can just assume Blogger's response to my plea for help was just to fix the problem and never tell me about it.

It's also true that I've become laughably tardy in watching good television. I'm seven episodes behind in Lost, two whole seasons behind on The Shield, and I haven't downloaded the latest premier of Battlestar Galactica yet. And The Wire... well, one day I'll see it. Really!

So, I have to be careful what I read on this site. (Exhibit #1: I can't read the post below this.) We're in the same boat, dear reader! Presuming, of course, that you've been a slacker like me. What's wrong with you, anyway? We're finally in the era of Good T.V.... live the dream!

Anyways, part of the reason for this is that I have a bizarre aversion to watching television by myself. Once I start, it's all good... but it's getting to that point that seems to take forever. More than that, though, I blame Carnivale. I loved that show. I watched it, then usually watched it again while I tape recorded it for two separate friends. Even then, there was the thought: "What if it gets cancelled?" But, I figured, it's better to enjoy the goodness while I can... and hell, when did HBO cancel anything? The whole point of HBO is that they didn't have to bow to ratings, because they were a pay site.

Second season: One of the co-writers jumped ship to make Battlestar Galactica. This, coupled with HBO's directive to make the show more accessible did... bad things to it. But I still would've watched the third season. Because hope springs eternal... and it looked like Lodz would, too. Hooray!

One cancellation later, I stopped caring. Now, there's always that damn worry: Why bother watching a series, until I have an iron-bound guarantee that it was not:

A- Canceled
B- Ruined
C- Both

After all, I'm not a Nielsen viewer, so what I watch really doesn't matter. And no matter what they say about DVD sales, it apparently can only bring shows back to life, not prevent them from dying in the first place.

But... that's no way to live my television-watching life. Especially with a bevy of friends reminding me that it's rude to introduce people to, say, The Shield, and then not be able to talk with them about it, except in the most general of terms. "I hear Forrest Whittaker is... big."

Mind you: I now trust network television more than HBO. Funny world.

No comments: