Monday, October 30, 2006

It Was All A Blog

Wow, what an ending. One might argue that the "It was all a dream!" ending is cliche, but upon analysis the narrative follows a certain dream logic. Contributing to the theme of dreams and their meaning as prophecy is the scene in which...

Hey, it was third grade. My teacher liked it enough to give it an A and a "Scary!" comment. Years later, The Christmas Tree From Hell garnered an "Interesting!", which was my writing teacher's way of saying, "I need to go home and cleanse my soul with Wild Turkey and a wholesome Richard Laymon novel. An evil voodoo rain that turns people black and makes them go crazy and kill people? No way that could be construed as offensive. And I'm sure his depictions of survivors of sexual abuse will be as insightful as always."

Googling The Christmas Tree From Hell, it appears I'm not the only person who thought ripping off Army of Darkness, The Children's Pit, and mixing them with adolescent sexual frustrations was a good idea. So rather than bore anyone with that cliche as well, I'll do something else to make up for your disappointment with the resolution to an otherwise brilliant climax that featured everything but Godzilla, the blob, the Creature From the Black Lagoon, and Megatron.

Be sure to complete the assigned reading. There will be in-jokes only smart people will get.

(Edit: One day I will make good on this vague promise.)

No comments: