Tuesday, November 14, 2006

No Longer Play Because I Hate The Playas

Mr. Bile asked me to discuss the games I no longer play. I suspect this is an attempt to make me feel inferior to him, as he actually has friends he doesn't have to kidnap from their apartments and tie to chairs in front of a table full of Energon drinks and handmade sushi in order to get them to touch a pair of dice, much less some traitorous foreign game from Europe that involves tiles or bidding rounds. Or maybe he just wanted to lord it over me that he has friends with a "s", whereas I have friend.

Ignoring computer and video games, which I could go on about at tedious length, I don't have much to say about games I no longer play. I got rid of them when I moved. When I see the RPGs gathering dust on my bookshelf or the board games piled up in my closet, my perspective isn't that I will never play them again (or in the case of certain titles, for the first time), I'm just not playing them right now. I'm waiting for the right group of friends to play them with.


"Friends" is the key word. Since college, I've found gaming groups who were nice enough to let me join their sessions and tolerated my playstyle, and I've found groups of friends who I could hang out with, but games were an afterthought or of the junior high school DM versus the players variety. And of course, let's not forget the Wangomancers.

I have yet to establish a post-graduation group of like-minded individuals who will show up on Fridays with equal enthusiasm for alcohol,
Battlestar Galactica, and existential horror meets Iron Chef in a game of furry action. One of the things my wife and I have found in LA is that people join groups just for meetups. With a few notable exceptions (also recently relocated) most of the people I've role-played with here are very secretive about their jobs and personal lives. Maybe it's me, but I don't feel comfortable inviting people over to my house for a game unless they're also interested in Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter night.

No comments: