Wednesday, August 01, 2007

E3: Still Not Dead

It has been nearly been a month since the zombified remains of the Electronic Entertainment Expo held sway over all forms of games-related journalism, giving me plenty of time to reflect what I've learned from it: Nothing. Games that had been previously announced... well, they're still coming out. Games that made money hand over fist are going to get sequels. You can still switch "Too Human" and "Duke Nukem Forever" in any games-related humor article, and nobody will notice. Oh, and the good people at Sony and Microsoft still haven't figured out the delicate art of Public Relations. Just like last year.

But that's okay, because I now receive two different game magazine subscriptions, filling me with articles about this month's World War II shooter, as well as previews about games that will be delayed at least three more times before they come out. Truly, I am better informed about these things than I ought to be.

I don't know how I got a free subscription to Games For Windows, but I'm enjoying it. Each month, they talk about games that I'll never be able to play with my current computer. It takes me back to when I was a kid, buying Gamepro magazine even after they stopped talking about any of the systems I owned. But a few years from now, when I buy a new used computer, I'll be able to look back and know which three year old games I should be buying for it.

And then there's Game Informer. It's the magazine you get for free when a Gamestop employee breaks several store policies to bribe you into getting a Gamestop Edge Membership. Its content is a mix of old news and new infomercials. For example, this month contains an article about Darksiders, a game that honestly believes being able to use an enemy's weapon against him is a new and unique feature. It also introduces two new members of the Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse, because they couldn't think of any possible way they could make Famine or Pestilence interesting. They were replaced by Fury and Strife, who probably power up by chugging cans of Surge Cola. The article goes on in a fawning manner for about four more pages after that, but I can't remember a word of it. This pretty much sums up the whole magazine.

The question is, what do I do with this knowledge? Until I can afford a next-gen system, I can't use the information to buy decent games . And as Narraptor once told me, it's not like anyone is paying me for knowing so much. In the end, I blame the podcasters of the world. Half of our Tolerable Podcasts have been whittled away, so now it's either Games, Lost, or nothing at all.

2 comments:

Narraptor said...

Dude, you stole my post! The Game Informer with the Darksiders EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW!!! was my last issue. Never again will I know how awesome games are, or be able to take a magazine quiz that proves, no, I haven't wasted my life. I don't know half of that stuff.

I no longer have my copy, which is why I haven't posted about this yet. Do us all a favor and post the actual quote about Famine and Pestilence. I believe that's why my issue ended up in the trash so fast.

I can only paraphrase:

"Running around as guys named Famine and Pestilence. That's kind of lame."

The hell? War and Death are okay, but Famine and Pestilence are out? Is it because they have more than five letters? "PESTILENCE" would kick "WAR"'s ass in Bookworm Adventures.

I haven't been this bewildered by the apocalypse since Metallica's "The Four Horsemen." There are some things in the Bible that you just don't fuck with. Why are they "Darksiders" rather than "Darkriders" anyway?

Mister Bile said...

My comments on this have rapidly expanded into an entire post. Which is probably more space than this game deserves, but I feel honor-bound to fight for the Lost Horsemen Of The Apocalypse.