Sunday, August 19, 2007

D&DTF?

Because 3.5 wasn't enough. There's now a fourth edition of Dungeons and Dragons. And (I don't think this is a joke) there's a trailer.

I have to give them some credit. Although I think that new editions/supplements are everything that's wrong about tabletop RPGs, the trailer does suggest that 4.0 addresses the primary drawback of third edition: DM loading times. But both math and rules-lawyering are an integral part of the game, and I don't understand why they would get rid of either. Unless DMs are expected to run modules on their laptops now, as the video hints at.


The short of it though, is that Wizards has updated the game every 3 or 4 years, requiring players to pick up new PHBs and tempting DMs with an innumerable amount of ancillary materials of limited shelf life.

It's been 30 years. Why isn't the game just done?


Details on D4 can be found
here, at this suspiciously corporate sounding blog, good old EN World, and on any number of horrible abuses of YouTube. Spread it!

I don't have the stomach for this sort of bullshit, but what I did read before my eyes glazed over suggests D&D is now officially on rails. Also, there are more monsters to fight! (Assuming you buy the Monstrous Manual again.)


I'll let Mr. Bile or TomFoolery pick this apart. I need a nap.

No comments: