Sunday, August 19, 2007

Movies Are Awesome

Harold and Kumar 2 CONFIRMED! And if the trailer and Wikipedia summary are any indication, it's going to be fucking awesome.

I was going to rant about how, other than that, we're entering a sad seaon of movie trailers, but then I clicked on the link for
Exiled. Let's all meet up for that at the ArcLight on Labor Day, shall we? Deep Water looks intriguing as well, if you can ignore the talking heads. A water race around the world drives a man crazy. And then he cheats! Someone make a video game out of that, please.

I was encouraged to research the state of trailers after watching
Superbad, where I learned recent "parody" movies have lowered the bar so far that they're now doing alternate takes on movies that were originally intended to be comedies. The less said about the other trailers I saw, the better for my personal safety.

As for
Superbad, it's hard to watch this movie without imagining Kevin Smith ripping out his hair, and maybe even his teeth. I know I've used this analogy before, but it's the sort of movie he thinks he's been making for...well, since Clerks. It perfectly captures the dynamics of male friendship. You talk shit, you fight for conversational supremacy, you hold secret grudges that when voiced aloud are embarrassingly emotionally retarded, and every once in awhile you say something really mean and stupid. But if all goes well and both parties are willing to admit they can be a dick, you hug it out, bitch.

Aww.


You'd have to be a hardcore northeast coast liberal eXtreme bumper sticker feminist to not laugh at this movie. Put aside the "are men/boys really like this?" argument. (Um...yeah. Sorry. Deal.) Like other films under Judd Apatow's aegis (
40-Year-Old Virgin, Knocked Up), it portrays something rare in comedy. Real people, everyday, at the most random moments, say stuff that's hilarious.

If that world seems alien to you, than I'd be very, very sad for you. You know, if I was willing to allow myself a moment of empathy. Which I can't, because I'm hindered by that extra chromosome.

1 comment:

Narraptor said...

Another, more personal reason this movie one-ups Kevin Smith: The mall featured in Superbad? I've been to that mall!

It's...actually not a very good mall. Thanks to Superbad though, I now have an emotional attachment to it. I can get pretzels there, at least. So I'll have something to munch on while I pontificate soulfully about deteriorating friendships.