Wednesday, October 10, 2007

What'cha Been Playin'? (October 2007 Issue)

An odd thing happened after I quit Oblivion and forever removed it from my hard drive for the second time. I started playing games.

Getting
rid of WOW and Oblivion was like kicking an addiction. I realized that I wasn't getting full enjoyment out of life, and I needed help. Gametap was a good first step, and it's nice to know that Overlord, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, and Pocket Fighter (Xie-xie!) are always there if I need them for $9.95 a month. But their program wasn't right for me. I needed something, dare I say it, a little less casual. I needed something hardcore.

After attending
Ryan Scott's self-improvement seminar on Thursday, October 10th, I learned about Steam. Now, I've had Steam on my computer for some time, but the service has changed in recent months. And now it has changed me.

The last time I played an FPS competitively was over a LAN network in college. We were playing Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem, and, yes, there was Blood. I pwned Blood with anal madness. At the time, I didn't have the resources on my personal computer to run Quake or Unreal, and by the time I did have the money to afford the Internet connection and the graphics card, I was far behind the curve. Games that existed in three dimensions baffled me. To this day, I still can't play Grim Fandango.


But thanks to my hero Ryan Scott, my life is back on track. Team Fortress 2 is freakin' awesome. My average lifespan is slightly over a minute, but I haven't had this much fun gaming in years.


If you need me between now and when
Lost and The Wire come back on the air, look me up on Steam. I'm also game for DEFCON or a mini-campaign of Civ IV. I was able to download the latter and its improvement packs (yay, Korea! I've discovered Buddhism in a country that didn't invent it!) for a pretty decent price over the weekend.

It's too bad I think viral marketing is wrong. I'm turning out to be pretty good at this "liking" things thing. Buy the Orange Box today from the comfort of your own home!

3 comments:

Narraptor said...

No, I haven't abandoned Okami. I beat my first boss last week without even consulting GameFaqs.

Spiders. Why does it always have to be spiders?

I hate those guys.

jaxjaggywires said...

Started playing me some Halo 3 and Bioshock...pretty good time to be a 360 owner :)

Mister Bile said...

This post has inspired me to goad my computer into becoming a home for games again. And as soon as I get back tomorrow from my meeting with He Who Walks Behind The Rows, I'll get to see if I succeeded, or if it still needs more gun.