Monday, July 30, 2007

Viewed: The Simpsons Movie

I went looking for coverage of this flick out on the Internet, but couldn't find a word. In the absence of a vast sea of fanboy and professional commentary, I feel it's extremely relevant to the movie-going public that I document my experience.

Is it any good? Put it this way, I went in excited, but too cool to be there, and flanked by children on all sides. I was subjected to the first salvo in the Alvin and The Chipmunks live-action movie blitz, and the audience around me would not shut up even after the 20th Century Fox logo appeared. People were calling their friends on cellphones to explain that the movie was starting right now, and they even had the audacity to applaud when the title finally showed up. I mean, what they hell were they on? The show hadn't been funny since [blank], and here they were, carrying on like it was the Phantom Menace. Hadn't they seen the show in [blank] years? Didn't they know all hope was about to be destroyed? Or was I surrounded by crazy people who actually liked seasons [blank] through [blank]?

Then the opening montage started and I forgot about all that for the next 87 minutes.

The Simpsons Movie is pretty fucking funny. I would even go so far to say that it is funny floating, the highest level of funny there is.

My Inner Comic Book Guy tells me that it's too bad so much of the film takes place outside of Springfield, leaving little interaction between the Simpson family and the supporting cast. And Albert Brooks' EPA czar is so similar to Scorpio, both in terms of his manner and his approach to protecting the environment, that it's a sad missed opportunity that he's not actually Scorpio. (He could have at least pulled off a mask or something. D'oh!)

But screw you, Inner Comic Book Guy. As I recall, in the regrettable season [blank], you had sex with Skinner's mom. Your opinion means nothing to me.

2 comments:

jaxjaggywires said...

Best.episode.ever

That was a lotta [blank] to [blank]. In my opinion, [blank] was [blank]ing my [blank]ing [blank].

Homer [blank]s your [blank]...

Narraptor said...

Rethinking it, I suppose the highest level of funny would be either "fucking funny floating" or "funny fucking floating."