Saturday, July 28, 2007

Beatallica

Metallica as if it were a Beatles cover band? I almost have to assume everyone has heard of this already, and I've been told about it several times but it was late and I was durnk. But as far as I can recall, I just found out about it today. I clicked on the review expecting some sort of Beatmania import soundtrack. I got "Hey, Dude" instead.

Like pirates, zombies, and ninjas, ironically earnest expressions of metal pride are wearing a bit thin. I blame VH1, hipsters, and that "emo" all the old people and nerdcore rappers complain about. But despite the self-referential groaners ("Remember/metal is in your heart/and you can start/to be a shredder"), Beatallica kind of works. It sounds just like what it claims to be.


Your tolerance may vary depending on your allegiances and familiarity with both bands' catalogs. As a post-
S&M Metallica turncoat, and someone who never understood the appeal of those British kids with the goofy haircuts and prefers John and Yoko, I realize my opinion is suspect. But you have to admit, this so wrong, it's awesome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Being of Pre Black Album faith I am not much of one to look kindly upon this. But anything this silly has to be worth a listen. I'm a fan of the band Tony Danza Tap Dance Extravaganze, Beatallica may be worth a listen.