Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Jake's Wake Is Coming

Three things I want to note before delving into my rant: One, the previous Lost post can be read by anyone who already knows that Mr. Eko is dead or doesn't know who he is, in case the "it was all a dream" tag wasn't enough of a tip-off. Two, My Pal Skipp's short will be linked here as soon as it is available on the Internet. And three, though our spoiler policy is clear, our "you'll never watch this show again if you know this" policy is not. So I'll warn you that if you intend to keep watching Battlestar Galactica because you crave disappointment, please, don't read any further.

Here is an extra line in case you read fast. I hope you're reading this on purpose, because you've probably already seen the word below in quotes.


I watched
Battlestar Galactica Sunday night. The one where Starbuck "died."

I'm done.


I'll keep watching until the pajama trial of Baltar, and maybe check out the made for Sci-Fi channel summer movie and the first two episodes next season
just for a laugh. But I'm done.

I tried to embrace Mr. Bile's
"one episode at a time theory for Battlestar enjoyment." But when it comes down to it, BSG is not Lost and I can't watch it as if it were.

Think what you will about
Lost's refusal to answer lingering mysteries or advance the island plot, but it's held true to the series' premise. Each episode is tied into a single character's past. Whether that actually advances the timeline or explains why that character is doing the same thing over and over again, the conceit has been remarkably consistent. And since the themes of the show are predestiny, people's inability to change, and fate vs. free will, it works.

Battlestar
is a different type of show. It began as a wanna-be pilot/mini-series and developed into a tight 13-episode first season with an ensemble cast. But over the course of the bloated second and third seasons, the majority of episodes seemed as if they were written for network sweeps. With the exception of two-part finales or plot arc epilogues, episodes increasingly focused on only one or two characters. Flashbacks became commonplace, rewriting what we knew, and the metaplot, when acknowledged, was presented as a clip show.

BSG
forgot it was an ensemble show. All the interesting characters have either been written out, ignored, or turned to cardboard. Not only am I supposed to believe that Starbuck flew into a colored space hole to "die" just because, but Adama reacts like a spoiled teenager afterwards and breaks his favorite toy?

Get back to me 10 years from now when Chris Carter comes out of retirement to make the re-re-imagining of Battlestar Galactica, and I can get my hopes up and have them dashed all over again courtesy of Lance Henriksen.

3 comments:

Narraptor said...

I'm not exactly sure what happened to Skipp's short. I'll update the blog when it finally arrives.

TomFoolery000 said...

So what do you think the chances are of slicing and dicing the DVDs into something worth watching, kind of like The Phantom Edit did for a Episode I of Star Wars?

Narraptor said...

I think things are looking pretty bleak if we have to start looking at television shows and movies as unpatched betas where the viewers are testers.

Could it be fixed on an iMac? Maybe. The writers definitely leave enough continuity references out every episode that the show could easily be re-edited. But it's precisely those vaporware scenes that have led to my disappointment.

I'm not sure you could put together a great season. Probably just a really interesting "Last previously on Battlestar Galactica..." for season four.