Monday, March 26, 2007

BSG Is Dukkha

Perhaps Narraptor is too harsh about the newly revealed Cylon models. I have not been watching BSG. In fact, I've been avoiding it. But on a whim I decided to give it another go. Everyone deserves a second chance right?

I kind of enjoyed the finale for the most part. Apollo had actual dialogue and managed to deliver it almost well--or at least not badly. I think it would have been cooler if Baltar had been killed by the unruly mob, a la Frankenstein's monster, but I could live with what we were given. And while the "Hey, guess what? We're all Cylons" bit was poorly done, I was prepared to overlook even that to an extent. I've learned to no longer expect great things from Battlestar.

Admittedly, I can pick out many things I wish had been done differently, but none of it really seemed to phase my newly acquired Zen-like ability to find contentment where in previous episodes I had found only pain--dukkha, if you will. As the episode began to wind down I actually breathed a sigh of relief. I marveled to myself at how it was not nearly as bad as I had feared, and that apparently I was just being silly.

Then Starbuck arrived on the scene and handed us some crap about finding Earth.

FUCK BSG!

Narraptor is right to be harsh, I only question his choice of where to loose his venom.


1 comment:

Narraptor said...

To be fair to myself, I never delineated my particular complaints about the episode. Rather than belabor the point by unleashing venom, I chose to offer a snapshot of my disappointment.

But since you brought it up.

The trial of Baltar was a joke. Outside of Tigh's deposition, I found it completely unconvincing, Law and Order fan fiction. And the result shoved Baltar from a D-story role to an unheard of before E-story level. We'll now see less of him than we do of Boomer.

As for the "We're all Cylons, and we have been all along," thing, it smacks of desperation. I'll give them credit for trying to make the three least interesting regulars more interesting, but again, Tigh? This makes sense how?

I was resigned to the inevitably awful Starbuck reappearance when she "died," so it didn't hurt me as much.

As we've discussed, the only way to enjoy the show at this point is to forget everything that happened 3 episodes previously and roll with it. I don't put up with that in The Sopranos, another series which shunts it's coolest characters to the wayside at every opportunity. Why should I cut BSG any frakk?