Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Concerning Narraptor's Return

I realize that Narraptor's reappearance might be giving you cause to doubt my prognosticative ability. This is understandable, but give me some credit: Most people would have already begun their reign of terror once they had assumed total control of their blog. I was content to wait a few weeks, to make sure my cohort was as dead as I beleived. So while I might not have been correct, I was at least able to avoid the epic poetry battle atop Mount Slam that would have erupted if I had made my move too early.

I still wish I had let italics back into the kingdom, though. It's a lot easier to stress my syllables through artificial means, than by indicating a change in tone through natural dialogue alone.

Something you may not know: Information does not want to be free. Oh, I know how much it likes to preach the virtues of freedom, but what it really wants is to be safe and loved. It wants to be found, but only on it's own terms where it's safe from getting hurt. This is why Wikipedia has guardians.

Data, on the other hand, loves freedom. It positively thrives on it, which is why half of the things available on a file sharing site are not what they seem. Data doesn't have to serve a need, it just has to occupy space on your hard drive.

Our love of information fuels our previously unstated editorial policy. There are no archives dedicated to our mistakes. While some sites will happily supply editorial footnotes detailing that, "The entire news article below turns out to have been made up," I believe in more permanent solutions. When mistakes happen, they get vanished. There might be a note about this, or there might not. Either way, if you didn't spot the mistake yourself then it's left to your imagination. Which, as any lover of black and white movies will tell you, is a more potent thing than actually showing you what happened.

Unless you're killing Dracula, that is.

No comments: