Sunday, September 24, 2006

So, Jet Li Is Fearless?

Maybe I’m sleepy, but I don’t have much to say about Jet Li’s Fearless. It is a series of fight scenes in order of least to most fierce. Other than a few setpieces early on where the camera locks on Li and swoops with him as he defies gravity, most of the fights are shot so that the viewer can see what’s happening. (I know!) For that matter, unlike other recent martial arts epics, the characters keep their feet on the ground. Well, when they aren't delivering or reeling from flying kicks.

There is a blind girl, though. That seems to be going around.

It’s a fun action movie with a positive downbeat message. It is my understanding that a substantial amount of melodrama was cut because the Chinese government wanted it to be more of a kung fu flick. A frame story where Michelle Yeoh lectured people about the origins of wushu was also removed. Normally I’d be happy for Michelle Yeoh to tell me anything, (even "I gave you herpes” would have an upside), but in this case I have to agree with the guy who said, “I don’t need anyone telling me about wushu!”

I will be in Japan for a week. Although I should have access to the Internet there, I may not be able to post on schedule, as I won't know what day it is. If all else fails, I will return on the first of October with thoughts on my new DS. Also Japan.

No comments: