Thursday, November 22, 2007

Viewed: The Mist

I'm having a contest. Anyone who has seen The Mist is welcome to offer their opinions. In a few weeks' time, I'll put all your suggestions on a d20 table and roll for the winner. The winning contributor will be sent back in time to kick Frank Darabont in the shins until he chooses a better ending.

You're welcome to enter as many times as you want. I have a few thoughts of my own.

  1. The film could have ended the way the book did. Our hero and his kid escape the grocery store, drive under a creature so large all they can see are its legs, and head off in the direction of a radio signal that they may have only imagined.
  2. Our hero takes the same course of action that he does in the movie. Stranded in the mist without any gas and four other passengers, he decides to do the noble thing with their remaining four bullets. He shoots his son first, then the woman he didn't have sex with, then the old lady. But as he levels the revolver at the old man in the backseat, an army guy taps on the window. "Excuse me, sir. Is there a problem here?" "Nooooooo!" "All right, then."
  3. At some point earlier in the film, our hero's son scrawls, "Dear Army Guys, there are monsters," on a paper airplane and throws it into the mist. Then, when the army guys show up at the end, they could have been, like, "Where's Billy? All right, son, where are the monsters? As it turns out, this other dimension is vulnerable to our ordinary earth flamethrowers."
  4. It was all a dream.
  5. At the very least, they wouldn't have licensed Dead Can Dance.
Prepare to enter The Scary Door.

1 comment:

Jander said...

So, I finally caught the mist. Unfortunately the ending was slightly spoiled by your blog post, but that's what I get for reading it. I was definitely disappointed that he didn't bang the blond chick. While it might not have been a great movie in it's own right, I did kind of feel like the movie was how I pictured it in my head when I read the story or listened to it on tape back in the day, even a lot of the sounds seemed to match up in my mind. So to that extent I really enjoyed it, and i'll want it on dvd for sure.